Link Building for Coworking Business Niche
Oftentimes, coworking space owners try to avoid marketing strategies that seem complicated or obscure. SEO link building is one of those techniques. But I don't think it's a great tactic to stick your head in the sand as you are not an ostrich :-) You are a smart businessman using all available tools to market your space, grow its membership, and increase revenue.
Well, if link building is not in your marketing toolkit, today you will confidently add it there.
Let's start with the basics.
What Is Link Building
You have probably heard this thousands of times but I am really going to keep things simple for you. When somebody is in the process of building links, it means that they are doing their bests to acquire hyperlinks from other websites pointing to their own resources.
Links are used to navigate between web pages on the internet. Bots use links to crawl the web—they use links to crawl individual pages on your website and crawl the links between entire websites.
SEO professionals agree that link building is one of the most challenging parts of digital marketing. There are many techniques for building links, that vary in difficulty. But one thing I can tell you for sure, if you master the art of link building, this will put you in Google's top 10 and also ahead of the competition.
Why Your Coworking Website Needs Backlinks
Search engines use links in two fundamental ways:
- To discover new web pages.
- To determine how high a page should rank in search results.
In plain English — search engines crawl web pages and extract their content to add it to their indexes. This is the way they decide if a page is quality enough to be ranked well for relevant keywords.
Yet, it's not only page content that helps search engines make a decision. They also look at the number of links from external sources that point to that page. Thus, the more high-quality websites link to your coworking site, the more likely you are to rank high in search results.
Supposing all other factors are equal for your and your competitors' websites. In this case, the volume and quality of backlinks to your web pages will make the difference between rankings.
Dofollow & Nofollow Links
Links can have "dofollow" and "nofollow" attributes, which makes no difference for the user, however, it does make difference for search engines.
<a href="" rel="nofollow">I love andcards</a>
By adding rel="nofollow" you are telling Google not to pass any PageRank across this link to the target URL, which means it will not help the target URL to rank any better.
Why do websites add those rel="nofollow" attributes? Because they want to keep all links coming from their resources in control. You can discover that your link is nofollow if you dropped it somewhere in:
a blog comment
guest book comment
editable Wikipedia page
guest post signature
Resources where users can freely add links save a heap of efforts with nofollow attribute as they don't moderate every single one of those links. They don't let link spammers get the advantage of a site's PageRank by choosing to apply the nofollow attribute to all links posted by other users.
As you see, everybody has their reasons and they are fair enough. But does it mean that nofollow links are not worthwhile?
Nofollow links will not help your organic search rankings directly as dofollow links. Yet, users don't check whether a link is nofollowed and click it to visit your website. That is why you are buying advertisements online. For link building purposes, you, of course, want most of your links to be followed and therefore counted by Google.
Please note that a healthy link profile of a coworking website should contain both dofollow and nofollow links.
What Is Link Profile
The link profile of your corporate website is an assessment of all the inbound links it managed to earn.
Normally, the link profile of your coworking website will be assessed by:
- Total number of links.
- Their quality (how many of them are spammy).
- Diversity (are all your links from one site linking for a hundred times or are they from a hundred sites linking to you only once, and more.)
Your link profile tells Google and other search engines how your website relates to other resources on the Internet. By the way, you can take a look at your link profile with the help of one of the multiple SEO tools available on the market.
New, when you know how powerful are backlinks, the temptation to manipulate them is strong, however, I don't advise you to do it. Gaining artificial links for the sake of search engine rankings increase is a dangerous tactic that contradicts Google's terms of service.
Once you are caught, you get a serious punishment like deindexation of your website. In other words, some web pages or even the entire domain may be removed from search results. So, don't cheat, lie, or steal, try to keep your link profile clean through diligent, honest, hard work.
These sorts of links will show Google that your links and authority are being earned fairly:
- Earned or editorially placed. Your content is so awesome that sites want to link to it.
- Links are relevant, coming from topically similar websites.
- Anchor text of your links is descriptive and relevant, not spammy. With variations of the same anchor text, your chances to rank higher for a certain keyword increase. But exactly the same anchor text looks suspicious for Google.
- Links you are building send qualified traffic to your website. You should never build links to improve your Google rankings only. The right approach is to acquire links from relevant websites whose audience would also get value from your site content.
Shady Link Building Techniques to Avoid
Google wants you to earn links, so you must avoid unnatural links or link spam to be safe from penalties.
Here are some of the risky link building practices you should keep away of:
- Purchased links.
- Cross-linking/link exchange/reciprocal linking.
- Links from low-quality directories.
Characteristics of High-quality Links
Use this recap as a checklist when analyzing the backlink profile of your coworking website:
- Earned or editorial (which is the same).
- From authoritative, relevant pages using a natural relevant anchor.
- Growing over time.
- Bringing qualified traffic to your website.
- A healthy proportion of dofollow + nofollow.
- Strategically targeted but earned naturally.
How to Earn Links for Your Coworking Website
You will find plenty of link building guides on the internet. All of them vary in shapes and sizes, however, one link building strategy is true for any business niche, including coworking of course.
You link building campaigns should match the unique goals of your business.
Keeping this in mind, I am going to lay out some methods that could be probably called link building 2020. My list is not exhaustive yet comprehensive enough to push your coworking website right to Google's top 10.
Get Partners' and Customers' Links
This type of backlinks is relatively easy to earn. You surely have friendly relationships with your partners and customers. For instance, you can write a testimonial on their website or send a partner badge they can display on their website.
Publish Your Content on Coworking Blogs
This link building technique is recommended by Google engineers. Contribute cool material on regular basis, publish it on various blogs related to coworking business niche and earn backlinks from other blogs.
Please keep away from guest posting for links only and avoid publications on low-quality resources.
Create Unique Quality Coworking Resources
It's worth to invest efforts in the creation of unique quality resources. Top content is widely shared by readers. Your writing pieces should have the following features:
- Stir emotions, any kind of them — joy, sadness, whatever. The main thing is that they should be strong.
- Your content should be new, or at least demonstrate a new approach to the topic.
- It should be attractive to the eyes.
- It should address some current need, trend or interest.
- It should be location-specific, i.e.: How to run a coworking business in Asia.
If you create a resource minding the above tips, you will earn lots of links with a single page. These quality votes earned editorially are priceless assets in building trust, brand authority, and rankings potential.
Help Google Operators Find Your Resources
Resource pages are good for building links. You can make them even more efficient by applying advanced Google operators like coworking intitle:"resources" to help search engines discover them easier.
Participate in Local Communities
Running a coworking business you surely meet your customers in person, so by participating in local communities, you can get valuable and influential links. Here are some of the possible ways to earn backlinks:
- Become a sponsor or give a scholarship.
- Host community events, seminars, workshops, and organizations in your coworking hub.
- Donate to local causes you consider worthy and join business associations.
- Offer internship and post job vacancies available at your space.
- Run loyalty programs for your members.
- Run a local competition with valuable prizes.
- Team up with local business owners to improve the local economy.
Give New Life to Top Content
If you are running a blog on your coworking site, you surely analyze what content brings you the most traffic, converts the most customers, or retains readers for the longest time.
You can use the power of this content to the fullest by turning it to Slideshare presentation, YouTube video, Instagram post, Quora answer, cool infographics, etc. This will help you expand your acquisition funnel even beyond Google.
Don't forget to update the best articles and republish them on the same platform. Find websites that use your images (infographics) without including a link to your website and ask them to fix the issue.
Give News Websites the Reason to Feature Your Coworking Brand
Drawing the attention of the press, bloggers, and news media is one of the working link building tools. You don't need to be a superhero for that, just give something away for free, release a great new service, or state something controversial. Of course, your coworking brand must be recognizable to produce this public ripple, nobody is going to talk about some unknown enterprise.
Take Your Time to Craft a Personalized Outreach Email
Don't make this mistake running a link building campaign for your coworking website. Never send cold, generic outreach emails to people you want to get a backlink from. Write a custom, personal, and valuable initial message.
How many spammy emails do you receive every day? What do you do with them? Send to the trash bin? Ok, then you understand why your outreach email must be different. Here are a few tips that will help you get a response:
- Make your email personal calling the addressee by name, mentioning something the person is working on, maybe their school, hobby, their dog, whatever.
- Your email must be of some value. For instance, you can let a person know that they have a broken link on their website or some page is not rendered correctly on the mobile phone.
- Save the receiver's time. Keep your email short, nobody will read walls of text.
- Ask only one simple question in your outreach email which is not about adding a link.
Final Thought or Main Benefits of Link Building for Coworking Business
This was a brief introduction to link building for coworking website. And now I want to point out some essential moments you must never forget about.
First of all, every building campaign starts with the creation of something worth linking to.
Secondly, you are trying so hard because your coworking business gets notable benefits from backlinks you earn.
- Higher Google rankings.
- Building friendly relationships with entrepreneurs in your industry through blogger/email outreach which makes your business regarded and trusted.
- Referral traffic increase, wider exposure leading to sales boost.
- Brand building and establishing you as an authority in the niche. When you create content you show the audience your expertise. When you ground your content on real data, you become well-known in your industry.
I hope the advantages of link building for your coworking business are stimulating enough to start doing it right now. If you have any additional questions on SEO link building tips, strategies & techniques, please ask them in the comments section. Your additions, thoughts, and suggestions are also welcome. Please tell me about your favorite tool to earn backlinks.
Liked my link building guide adjusted for coworking business? Share it with friends!